So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. (1 Corinthians 10:31 HCSB)
As we saw in Ephesians 1 last Sunday, God’s first key purpose for us is to live for him and his glory. In fact, God has been working and making decisions before the beginning of this creation to make it possible for us to glorify him through Jesus Christ. Living for God and his glory is therefore foundational for everything we are and do at Winston Hills Anglican Church. From our gatherings to our daily response to the news about Jesus, God desires for us to honour and serve him and his Son.
This Sunday we will look at another purpose that God has for our lives. Why are we still living here on earth? What does God want us to do before Jesus returns? Please read Ephesians 1-2 in preparation for our Sunday gathering.
Please don’t forget that daylight savings starts this Sunday (wind your clocks back an hour). It actually means you get to sleep in a little more (not that we experience this in our household). Plus no one should have an excuse for arriving after we’ve started!
Next month we will be remembering the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ during our special Easter services. These services are an opportunity to ask your friends and family to celebrate Easter with you. We will have a children’s program and morning tea is provided. A short talk will seek to help people understand why the unjust death of a man at the hands of a foreign occupying force and religious leaders was actually the best thing that could ever possibly happen for us.
02.04 Living with Purpose – To Share God and Make Him Known
09.04 Living with Purpose – Belonging to God and his Family
14.04 Good Friday
16.04 Resurrection Sunday
23.04 Living with Purpose – Growing to be like Jesus
30.04 Living with Purpose – Serving in God’s Kingdom
Winston Hills Beach Day
A large group of us went to Mona Vale beach last Saturday. Apart from 5 minutes of rain (which fell just as we were packing things up in the park and moving to the beach – great timing of God’s behalf!), it was a fun day of conversation, games, sticky sand, and swimming (in mud and the surf). Here are some photos from the event:
Ministry Training – This Sunday: Kids’ Spots
During the first half of the year, we’ve planned a series of training days for all congregations. The goal is to know what we’re doing, how we’re doing it and make sure we’re serving to the best of our growing abilities. Those expected to be involved will be invited and information about these events will be made available closer to the events.
Sun 2nd Apr – Kids Spot Training afternoon (2-4pm at the Thomas Street building)
Sun 30th Apr – Welcomers Training afternoon
Sat 3rd June – Leadership Team Training Day
Sun 4th June – Prayers Training afternoon
These training events are open for all members of Winston Hills. Please let Mark know if one of these is an area where you are interested in serving.
Winston Hills Women’s Event
Date: Saturday 22nd April
Location: Pocknall’s Place (5 Andrews Ave, Toongabbie NSW 2146)
Bronwyn Edney is coming to speak to us on ‘Joy in God’s Promises’. An event to encourage one another. All ladies welcome!
Friends of Northmead Picnic
The Friends of Northmead exists to provide a social network amongst those who “have retired, are ’empty-nesters’, or ‘third stagers’ (i.e. independent of children, free of mortgages, still in relatively good health, etc)”. Through social events and seminars, members of our parish are aiming to expand their social networks and provide opportunities to speak about Jesus.
This month’s event is a picnic at Cumberland State Forest (off Castle Hill Road, just past Coonara Ave) on Saturday 1st April from 11am.
For more information about this event and gospel ministry, please contact Bev Ivins (0412142090), Robyn Dunlop (0417066827) or Hedley Mooney (0400207806).
Kitchen Aids for ESL (Monday mornings)
Are you available on Monday mornings to support our ESL outreach ministry? The ESL team is looking for a few people to run the kitchen, prepare morning tea, and be available to chat with anyone who joins the program. Please contact Mark at the office or Denise Carpenter (0431 737 559) if you can help or would be willing to join a roster.
Usher and Assistance at Woodberry Village Sunday service
Because of the failing health of those that help out in welcoming people, guiding people to a seat, and so on, we need volunteers to help out. Would your Gospel Team consider this as an opportunity to reach out to the residents at Woodberry with the gospel? We are looking for 1-2 volunteers for each Sunday service whose names would be added to the roster. Please contact Don Barker if you could assist with this.
Dates for your Diary
- Wed 29 – Northmead Anglican Churches AGM
- Sat 1 – Friends of Northmead Cumberland Forest Picnic
- Sun 2 – Kids’ Spot Training seminar
- Fri 14 – Good Friday service (9:30am)
- Sun 16 – Resurrection Sunday service (9:30am)
- Mon 17-Fri 21 – Forge Youth Camp
- Sun 30 – Welcomers Training seminar
The Winstonite Holiday Program will be running on Sunday 9th, 16th, and 23rd April (including Good Friday). For more information, please speak with Bronwynne Pocknall.
The Groombridges will be away from 21st-25th April.
WHAC Prayer Points
Devote yourselves to prayer; stay alert in it with thanksgiving. 3 At the same time, pray also for us that God may open a door to us for the message, to speak the mystery of the Messiah, for which I am in prison, 4 so that I may reveal it as I am required to speak. (Colossians 4:2-4 HCSB)
- Pray for boldness to take the opportunity to invite non-Christian friends and family along to our Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday services. Pray that our gatherings over that weekend will clearly explain the gospel of Jesus Christ.
- Pray for the Moore College PTC training that pastors in Kenya have recently received through Steve Dunlop (member of FIVE), that they may use what they have learnt from God’s Word to build the church in that country and region of Africa.
- Praise God for the parish leadership teams (wardens, parish council, treasurer, and Adrian Russell) for serving us, managing our finances, and making (hard) decisions regarding our property so that we might proclaim the news about Jesus.
- Thank God for everyone in our congregation, for he has brought us all together through Jesus Christ. Praise him that our Beach Day was an enjoyable opportunity for fun and relationship building.
- Pray for those who have been sick, unemployed, mourning or struggling in life under many trials. Pray that they may particularly have faith to trust in Jesus through these things.