On Sunday we are looking at the final chapter of Peter’s first letter. He has a word from God for all in leadership positions, the youth, and then all of God’s people, based upon what do we expect it the future and the dangers we face in the here and now. Please read 1 Peter 5 in preparation for our gathering on Sunday.
Easter Series – John 18-21
In the weeks leading up to Easter, we’re looking at the events after Jesus’ final Passover meal with his disciples until he is reunited with them after his resurrection. These events are recorded from the eyewitness perspective of the Apostle John. What were Jesus’ concerns during his passion? How does John explain the reasons for Jesus’ death and what were the various peoples’ responses to what was happening?
If you have friends and neighbours who do not understand the significance of Jesus’ death and resurrection, then please consider inviting them to this series.
We will be distributing flyers concerning both the new times for our Sunday gatherings as well as this Easter series over the coming weeks. Keep you eyes out for the bundles in the church over the next few weeks.
Picnic by the Lake – This Saturday
On Saturday 5th March from 3pm please join us with your picnic blanket or camping chair for a relaxed afternoon tea beside Parramatta Lake (enter from Lackey Street via Bourke Street, North Parramatta). You may like to bring a few nibbles to share, some walking shoes for a turn around the lake, or even your cricket bat if you want to take on Calvin.
FIVE Weekend Away
This year’s theme for our weekend away is The Path of Discipleship. We will be considering Jesus’ teaching from Luke’s Gospel about being his disciples as he heads towards the cross in Jerusalem.
All the information about our weekend away can be found in the brochure (download here).
So please reserve 1-3 April in your diaries for a weekend in Luke’s Gospel, friendship and fun.
On Wednesday 23rd March, we are having our annual General Meeting. If you would like to nominate someone to be a parish councillor, warden, or parish nominator, please speak with both the person you’d like to nominate as well as with Adrian Russell. There will be an opportunity to discuss the budget on Monday 21st March.
Stretch Nights 2016
Our Stretch Nights give us an opportunity to stretch our minds and understanding through discussing and considering Christian issues from a biblical and theological perspective. This year the plan is to consider issues such as human sexuality and social justice.
Our first Stretch Night is Tuesday 5th April. Consider coming with your Gospel Team. More information coming soon.
Safe Ministry Training
If you missed our Safe Ministry Training events this week, you still have the opportunity to do the training…
Youthworks run Safe Ministry – Saturday 12th March. This is being run by an outside organisation and is not free. For details and to book, see this website: https://www.youthworks.net/events/SMEvent
Dates for your Diary
- Sunday 6th March – Gospel Teams Launched
- Sunday 6th March – 11am church (soft launch) and nine30 moving to new time of 9am
- Saturday 19th March – Mission Prayer Breakfast
- Monday 21st March – Budget discussion
- Wednesday 23rd March – AGM
- 25th-27th March – Easter
- 1st-3rd April – FIVE Weekend Away. There will be no FIVE gathering on Sunday 3rd April.
- 5th April – Stretch Night
Throughout this week please pray for:
- The proclamation of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ over the Easter period, including the distribution of flyers throughout Northmead and Winston Hills
- A smooth transition during thechanges for both 9am and 11am morning congregations
- New initiatives for fellowship and outreach amongst retirees and seniors in our parish and community
- Pray for those who are sick, suffering or mourning. Continue to pray for Ellayne Hillier.
- Pray for our FIVE Weekend Away, that everyone will come and grow as disciples of Jesus Christ.
What does Christian maturity actually look like? Throughout Scripture we read of God’s desire that we grow in maturity (Eph 4:11-16; Col 1:28-29; Heb 6:1…). Last year our Gospel Team leaders were considering this topic as part of their “job” is to assist us grow in maturity. Do you think you are growing as a Christian in a manner that God desires? Richard Sweatman has a helpful article ‘How do you tell if someone is growing?’ which might help you consider how you a travelling as a Christian.