Genesis – The Origins of Everything
And God said to Noah, “There’s going to be a floody floody.” (Classic Sunday School Tunes ’50s-’80s)
Last Sunday we saw how the descendants of Cain are compared and contrast with the descendants of his brother Seth. Cain’s descendant Lamech boasts of his vengeful murder (4:23-24). Whereas Seth’s descendant Lamech cries out in hope that his son would bring relief from God’s judgement (5:29). And we see the extent of human sin at the beginning of Genesis 6 as mankind multiplies on the earth, but marry in a manner that continues to displease God (6:1-4).
How does God respond to this situation?
When the Lord saw that man’s wickedness was widespread on the earth and that every scheme his mind thought of was nothing but evil all the time, 6 the Lord regretted that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. 7 Then the Lord said, “I will wipe off from the face of the earth mankind, whom I created, together with the animals, creatures that crawl, and birds of the sky—for I regret that I made them.” (Genesis 6:5-7 HCSB)
Is there any hope for mankind? What might turn God from completely regretting his creation of man? A righteous man, Noah (Genesis 5:8).
Can I recommend reading Genesis 6-9 this week in preparation to hear what God plans and does through his Saviour.
Highly Recommended Devotional Reading
Peter Jensen’s Power and Promise: The Epic Journey from Adam to Abraham in Genesis 1-15 is an excellent book to use as a devotional material while we are reading Genesis together. I have been using this booklet each day for my devotional time and thoroughly enjoying it. Peter’s explanation and reflections on the passages are very short yet insightful. Highly recommended!
26.02 Gen 6-9 A New Hope?
05.03 Gen 10-11 We Built This City…
12.03 Gen 12 The dawn of Justification
19.03 Gen 13-14 TBA
One item of feedback from our congregational meetings last November was that people wanted to be able to pray informed prayers for one another. In response to this, Jann and Carol have been working on a prayer resource that you can use throughout March.
If there are any specific prayer points you would like us to be praying for you during the coming month, please let Carol know.
Friends of Northmead – Managing Arthritis
The Friends of Northmead is an initiative by “Third Stage Empty-Nesters” at Northmead Anglican Churches who desire to meet together and who also desire to bring their non-Christian friends into their friendship networks in a non-threatening manner.
During the first half of the year, we’ve planned a series of training days for all congregations. The goal is to know what we’re doing, how we’re doing it and make sure we’re serving to the best of our growing abilities. Those expected to be involved will be invited and information about these events will be made available closer to the events.
Sat 25th Feb – Music Training Day (10am-2pm at Thomas Street building)
Sun 5th Mar – Service Leaders Training afternoon (2-4pm at Thomas Street building)
Sun 2nd Apr – Kids Spot Training afternoon
Sun 30th Apr – Welcomers Training afternoon
Sat 3rd June – Leadership Team Training Day
Sun 4th June – Prayers Training afternoon
These training events are open for all members of Winston Hills. Please let Mark know if one of these is an area where you are interested in serving.
Western Sydney Region Annual Women’s Autumn Dinner
Tickets can be purchased online here for the dinner. For more information, please speak with Rochelle.
Dates for your Diary
- Sat 25 – Music Ministry Training
- Sun 5 – Newcomers’ Lunch
- Sun 5 – Service Leaders Training
- Tues 15 – Friends of Northmead Seminar
- Tues 21 – Western Sydney Region Annual Women’s Autumn Dinner
- Sat 25 – Winston Hills Beach Day
- Wed 29 – Northmead Anglican Churches AGM
FIVE Prayer Points
- Praise God for the peace we experience in Australia, which allows us to gather and know our Lord. Pray for those whose lives are surrounded by relational, spiritual or physical conflict, that they may hold onto their faith and hope in Jesus while suffering.
- Thank God for those who serve us every week using their musical abilities. Pray for everyone involved in music at FIVE and as they attend the training this week, that they will value the training they receive from Ben Pakula and find encouragement from members of other congregations.
- Pray that as Dan, Ateca and Shimon start the Moore College correspondence courses, that God will build their knowledge and love for Jesus Christ. Pray that they will then be effective in teaching God’s Word to students in Fiji.
- Pray that the Allen family can settle quickly into the Gladesville Community, will be welcomed by the church, and be effective in proclaiming Jesus Christ in everything they say and do.
- Pray for the proclamation of the gospel of Jesus Christ amongst “Third Stage Empty Nesters” at Northmead. Pray that they may have the boldness to invite friends and talk about Jesus.